Directions (1-10): In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words are suggested, one of which fills the blanks appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
One of the most brutal features of gender inequality takes the form of physical violence against women.The ..(1).. of such violence is remarkably high, not in poorer and less developed economies but also in wealthy and modern societies. Indeed the ..(2).. of battering women even in the richest and most developed economies is ..(3).. high. Turing to India, it must be ..(4).. first that the frequency of assaults on women is high in the country. To that ..(5).. general recognition has to be added the special role of violence connected with particular ..(6).. features, such as dowry and economic settlements. Even though the numbers involved with in violent deaths are ..(7).. by the larger numbers that ..(8).. from ..(9).. of healthcare, the crude and brutal nature of this from gender inequality makes it a particularly severe ..(10).. of the deprivation of women.
1. Ans- c (incidence -the occurrence, rate, or frequency of a disease, crime, or other undesirable things.)
2. Ans- a (frequency correctly fits in the context)
3. Ans- e (astonishing-extremely surprising or impressive; amazing.)
4. Ans- b (acknowledged-recognized as being good or important.)
5. Ans- e (‘form’ is appropriate word here )
6. Ans- c (‘social’ is appropriate word here )
7.Ans- a (we use fewer for numbers in comparative degree)
8.Ans- a (perish- die, especially in a violent or sudden way.)
9.Ans- e (neglect- fail to care for properly.)
10.Ans- d ( manifestation-an event, action, or object that clearly shows or embodies something abstract or theoretical. )