International Current Affairs
- World Thalassemia Day was observed on 8th May 2017.
- This day is observed every year on 8th of May to increase the awareness about this disease among common public all through the world.
- Note : Celebrating World Thalassemia Day on 8th of May was established by the World Health Organization in order to raise the public awareness about this disease, prevention measures and measures to avoid its transmission.
- Theme of World Thalassemia Day 2017 : ‘Together for Humanity’
- India has been unanimously elected as the President of the UN-Habitat, an organ of the United Nations to promote sustainable human settlements across the globe.
- UN-Habitat reports to the United Nations General Assembly.
- Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Minister M Venkaiah Naidu, who is currently in Nairobi in Kenya, will chair the four-day meeting of the 58-member Governing Council (GC) of UN-Habitat there from today.
- Note : Since the UN-Habitat came into being in 1978, it is the third time that India has been elected to lead this organisation after 2007 and 1988.
National Current Affairs
- The Maharashtra government today banned the sale of ‘High in Fat, Salt and Sugar’ (HFSS) food in school canteens across the state.
- Furthermore, schools have been asked to replace the junk food items with healthy food such as whole grain, home-made rotis, parathas, rice, etc.
- All Uttar Pradesh government officials above the age of 50, who are found unfit by the government will compulsorily be asked to retire, CM Yogi Adityanath ruled today.
- The officials will be judged on the basis of performance, punctuality and public image.
- The CM has directed to make the list of unfit officials ready by June 30.
- Union Minister of State for Aviation Jayanta Sinha today announced that the Centre will bring 200 airports under the UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik) regional air connectivity scheme.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs has asked all the state governments to link prisons with courts through video conferencing in order to expedite trials and to save costs of escorting undertrials to courts.
People in News
- In a first, a Supreme Court bench found Justice CS Karnan of the Calcutta High Court guilty of contempt of court and sentenced him to six months in prison.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to introduce new batches for settlement of payments through the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) from July 10.
- The RBI said additional settlements in the NEFT system at half-hour intervals are being introduced to enhance the efficiency of the system and add to customer convenience.
- Note : NEFT is a widely-used online payment system regulated by the RBI that allows inter-bank transfer of funds.
- Apple today briefly touched $800 billion market valuation, making it the world’s first ever company to hit the milestone.
- The world’s most valuable company, Apple is followed by Google parent Alphabet, and Microsoft in market valuation.
- Seasoned diplomat Venu Rajamony, currently Press Secy. to President of India Pranab Mukherjee, has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to the Netherlands.
- One of Pakistan’s senior-most diplomats, Sohail Mahmood, will replace Abdul Basit as Pakistan’s new High Commissioner to India.
- US President Donald Trump has nominated Indian-American Neil Chatterjee as a Member of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- FERC is an agency responsible for overseeing America’s power grid and deciding on multibillion-dollar energy projects.
Awards & Honors
- Konkona Sen Sharma has been named the Best Actress for the film ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ at the 17th edition of the New York Indian Film Festival.
- She also received the Best Director award for her directorial debut, ‘A Death in the Gunj‘.
- Note : ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ was the opening film at the film festival.
Sports Current Affairs
- World Basketball governing body Basketball Federation of India, FIBA revises its earlier rule banning players from wearing headgear.
- This move will enable India’s Sikh players to wear turbans and play in the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Qualifiers in China.