International Current Affairs
- Russia has blocked access to Chinese social media app WeChat for failing to give its contact details to country’s communications watchdog.
- Note : Last year, Russia blocked US social networking site LinkedIn for violating a law that requires data of Russian citizens to be stored on Russian servers.
National Current Affairs
- Aiming to end VIP culture in the state, the Andhra Pradesh government today banned the use of Blue beacons on cars belonging to dignitaries.
Awards & Honors
- Child actor Sunny Pawar, who featured in the Oscar-nominated film ‘Lion’, has been named the ‘Rising Star’ at the 7th Annual Asian Awards.
- Rajgauri Pawar, a 12-year-old Indian-origin girl from England, has scored 162 points in the Mensa IQ test, two points higher than geniuses Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.
- SS Rajamouli-directed movie ‘Baahubali 2: The Conclusion‘ has become the 1st ever Indian movie to achieve ₹1,000 crore earnings milestone.
- The Palestinian Islamist movement, Hamas, today elected Ismail Haniyeh as the new leader of its political wing.
- Haniyeh will replace Qatar-based veteran leader Khaled Meshaal, who had been in charge of the political wing for the past 10 years.
- 3 Indian-origin scientists have been elected fellows of the Royal Society, the world’s oldest scientific academy in continuous existence.
- The scientists are :
- Krishna Chatterjee (University of Cambridge)
- Yadvinder Malhi (University of Oxford)
- Subhash Khot (New York University)
- The scientists are :
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- India now ranks 3rd globally in number of startup incubators and accelerators.
- China is at the top followed by the US.
New English Word of the Day
- The fear of being without a mobile phone is known as nomophobia.
- Nomophobia is short form for ‘no-mobile-phone-phobia‘.
- People who suffer from the phobia often feel anxious when they run out of battery or balance, lose their phone or have no network coverage.
- Note : This term and phobia was first identified in 2008.
Sports Current Affairs
- The Indian cricket team has received the green signal to participate in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy after BCCI’s Special General Meeting today.
- India will begin their campaign against Pakistan on June 4, with the squad for the tournament to be announced on Monday.
- Note : Previously, the BCCI was reportedly mulling on pulling out of the tournament.
- Mumbai Indians pacer Lasith Malinga has become the first bowler to complete 150 wickets in the IPL.
- He reached the landmark during the match against Delhi Daredevils today, in which he claimed two wickets.