- Today (2nd Sunday of May) is Mother’s Day.
- Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society.
- Theme of Mother’s Day 2017 : “Every Mother knows”
- UJALA (UK Joins Affordable LEDs for All), the world’s largest efficient lighting programme, was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Piyush Goyal in London today.
- This programme aims to increase LED penetration in UK.
- Voting has begun today in Nepal’s first local-level polls in two decades, a landmark moment in the country’s transition to democracy.
- Two warships of the Indian Navy today reached Malaysia on a 6-day visit to step up maritime cooperation, including effectively containing piracy in the Indian Ocean region.
National Current Affairs
- As per recently released Public Affairs Index (PAI) 2017, Kerala has been declared as the State with the best governance in the country for a second straight year.
- The index judged the states on important themes such as infrastructure, social protection, law and order, and environment, among others.
- Top 5 in the List :
- Tamil Nadu
- Himachal Pradesh
- PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate India’s longest river bridge, the 9.15-km-longDhola-Sadiya bridge near the China border, on 26th May 2017.
- Situated over the Brahmaputra river at an aerial distance of around 100 km from the Chinese border, the bridge can withstand the weight of a 60-tonne battle tank.
- Note : The bridge’s construction began in 2011 at a cost of ₹950 crore.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to form ‘Maa’ committees to keep an eye on mid-day meals served to students in state-run primary schools.
- Each ‘Maa’ committee will have six mothers, from all sections of society, whose students are studying in that school.
- Emmanuel Macron today sworn-in as the President of France.
- With this, 39 year old Macron has became youngest President of France.
- He takes over from François Hollande, whose five-year term was plagued by high unemployment figures.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The Income Tax Department has launched a facility allowing people to correct errors in their PAN and Aadhaar details.
- The links for corrections are available on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in, the department’s e-filing website.
MOUs & Agreements
- The US and China have signed a 10-point trade deal that opens the Chinese market to US credit rating agencies and lifts China’s ban on US beef imports and shipments of liquefied natural gas.
Sports Current Affairs
- Wrestler Bajrang Punia won the Gold medal in the men’s 65 kg final at the Asian Wrestling Championships, defeating South Korea’s Lee Seung-chul in Delhi today.
- Note : This is India’s first gold at the tournament, after Olympians Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat won silver medals earlier.
- Ramudri Someswara Rao has won a Gold medal in the men’s 200-metre T44 event at the 2017 World Para Athletics Grand Prix in China today.
- Indian para-athlete Hokato Sema won a bronze medal in the shot put event.
- Indian dairy cooperative Amul will sponsor the New Zealand cricket team for the upcoming Champions Trophy in England.
- Note : Amul had earlier sponsored Netherlands in the 2011 Cricket World Cup.